Saturday, April 11, 2015

Lesson 9 - Genealogy

Ancestry Library: I wasn't able to research because I'm working on this at home. I didn't have time to do it at school but will be making time for it.

Heritage Quest: I browsed the publications and found if you are interested in your ancestory there are many avenues to help you with your search. I searched my parents in the census. I found my dad in the 1940's. He was married and had my 2 older brothers. The census had my parents being born in Sweden and that is not true.
In researching my husbands parents I think as far as I know the information is correct but I would have to check with him.

Sanborn Maps: Are the maps just of the cities that are the county seats? I was going to search Wilmot or Peever and wasn't able to find. I thought the county seat was in Wilmot years ago but don't know for sure. So I searched Sisseton and see that C.E.McGowan Lumber Co. was there and they must have had a branch in Wilmot. The Wilmot Lumberyard used to be C.E. McGowan.

I took was off for awhile and when I got back on I found Wilmot but no Peever. The building that I think are still being used are the Opera House (an auto shop) and Grand Central Hotel (an antique shop or mall).

1 comment:

  1. That is very interesting that the census had your parents born in Sweden. Are you able to find them in a different census and see if the information is correct there?

    Thanks for your post,

    Julie

    ReplyDelete